FACT SHEET: New Initiative on Digital Transformation with Africa… – The White House
At the U. S. -Africa Business Forum upon December 14 in Washington, DC, as part of the U. S. -Africa Leaders Summit, President Biden announced the particular launch of a new Digital Transformation with Africa (DTA) initiative. A signature initiative of the Biden-Harris Administration, DTA will expand digital access and literacy plus strengthen electronic enabling environments across the continent. Working with Congress, this initiative intends to invest over $350 million and facilitate over $450 million in financing for Africa in line with the African Union’s Digital Change Strategy and the U. H. Strategy Toward Sub-Saharan The african continent.
Africa’s digital ecosystem offers massive potential to spur economic recovery, promote opportunity, advance social equality and gender equality, and create jobs. Africa’s electronic transformation has opened new markets with regard to U. T. exports plus services; deepened partnership among African governments, the Oughout. S. private sector, educational institutions, as well as the African diaspora; and increased productivity, competitiveness, and e-government service delivery. With new technologies transforming the way Africans live and work, DTA will certainly foster an inclusive and resilient African digital ecosystem, led by African communities and built on a good open, interoperable, reliable, plus secure internet. This initiative may also seek to empower women and other marginalized people through and within the digital ecosystem. DTA aims to help countries rebuild economies impacted by the particular COVID-19 pandemic and advance U. S i9000. national security, diplomatic, commercial, and development priorities. It can also enhance commitments to invest in global infrastructure, including electronic connectivity, under the Partnership regarding Global Infrastructure and Investment.
The effort will achieve its objectives along three core pillars:
Pillar 1: Electronic Economy plus Infrastructure
- Objective 1: Expand access in order to open, interoperable, reliable, and secure Internet for Africa communities across sectors
- Goal 2: Increase access to plus adoption associated with key enabling digital systems, platforms, and services plus scale the African technology and innovation ecosystem
- Objective 3: Facilitate investment, trade and partnerships in Africa’s digital economy from the African diaspora, U. S. and like-minded allies
Pillar 2: Human Capital Development
- Goal 4: Help inclusive access to digital skills plus literacy, particularly for youth and women
- Objective 5: Foster inclusive participation in the digital economic climate through electronic entrepreneurship and workforce advancement
- Objective 6: Strengthen the capacity of public sector employees to deliver digital services
Pillar 3: Digital Enabling Environment
- Objective 7: Strengthen the capability of authorities plus the independence of regulators to develop, implement, and enforce sound policies plus regulations
- Goal 8: Support policies and regulations that promote competition, innovation, plus investment
- Objective 9: Promote governance that will strengthens and sustains an open, interoperable, reliable, plus secure digital ecosystem
As a whole-of-government effort that harnesses the diverse tools and capabilities associated with the Oughout. S. Government, DTA will include initiatives by the following departments and agencies:
- The United States Agency intended for International Development (USAID) will lead interagency efforts to increase digital skills and literacy, enhance electronic entrepreneurship, plus strengthen general public sector digital service shipping. USAID will leverage existing capabilities and networks, such because through the Young African Leaders Initiative, to mobilize electronic leaders, especially women and members of other marginalized areas, across sub-Saharan Africa in order to foster the particular growth of local digital businesses and ecosystems. Beyond this work, USAID will help investment plus promote business friendly reforms to support the development associated with the electronic sector.
- The U. S. Department of State will spearhead interagency efforts to strengthen the digital enabling environment. The particular Department of State’s Digital Connectivity and Cybersecurity Partnership will promote an open, interoperable, reliable, plus secure electronic ecosystem. Activities will certainly include targeted information and communications technologies (ICT) facilities efforts, such as testing and deployment of technology, feasibility studies, promoting supplier diversity, and the use associated with trusted suppliers. The Department of State may support capacity building plus technical assistance, to encourage enabling conditions for development, cybersecurity, and digital capability building within consultation along with African partners. The particular Department associated with State can invite the delegation of regulators to Washington to get regulatory technical assistance, plus in March 2023, the United States will hold an Open RAN workshop in Africa.
- The Millennium Challenge Corporation (MCC ) will work with its partner countries to address country-driven digital transformation priorities, harmonize regulatory and allowing environments, and attract personal sector investment. MCC prioritizes long-term engagement in order to implement systemic changes plus build the particular foundations associated with digital-driven economic growth in our African companion countries. To progress inclusive and resilient growth, MCC will ensure that electronic skills plus services reach underserved neighborhoods, youth, and women; advertise digital advancement; and harness the private sector to drive financial growth and reduce poverty.
- The particular U. Ersus. International Advancement Finance Corporation (DFC) is committed in order to supporting personal sector expense in projects that expand entry to affordable internet plus telecommunications, since well as projects that leverage technology to fuel economic development, such as financial technology and online education. DFC will be improving mobile connectivity throughout Africa via, for example , $100 million of financing pertaining to Africell to support cellular network upgrades and expansions in the Democratic Republic from the Congo, The Gambia, and Sierra Leone in order to make mobile internet solutions more inexpensive and widely available. DFC is also advancing technologies infrastructure across Africa by means of $300 mil of financing to build and increase Africa Data Centres within South Africa, Kenya, and other countries in Africa to meet a growing demand connectivity.
- The Export-Import Bank of the particular United States (EXIM) will certainly support DTA under its loan, guarantee, and insurance programs, including bolstering the competitiveness associated with U. S. exporters through the China and Transformational Exports Program.
- Power Africa is a U. H. Authorities initiative that works to increase access to power in sub-Saharan Africa plus has helped deliver first-time electricity to nearly 159 million people. Energy Africa may engage the particular private sector to broaden digital entry and improve the company enabling atmosphere for industry and investment decision. For example, as part of its Health Electrification and Telecommunication Alliance , Strength Africa can invest $10 million to improve internet accessibility in rural health clinics and regional health facilities.
- The particular U. T. Trade plus Development Agency (USTDA) will co-lead interagency efforts on digital economy and infrastructure. USTDA will fund grant-based project preparation and partnership-building activities to aid the development of digital facilities across The african continent. Leveraging its Access Africa initiative, USTDA will certainly partner with Oughout. S. industry and Africa’s public plus private sectors to advance comprehensive, secure, and sustainable digital infrastructure, which includes priority connectivity, cybersecurity, plus smart cities projects. USTDA’s Entry Africa portfolio has the possible to help unlock more than $1. 5 billion in funding for electronic infrastructure tasks in close to 40 African nations.
- Prosper Africa is the U. S i9000. Government effort to improve business and purchase between Africa nations and the United States. Prosper Africa may serve because an one-stop-shop for businesses and investors, as well as coordinate interagency support, for deals within the ICT sector. Prosper The african continent will engage the private sector in order to strengthen the particular business enabling environment meant for digital trade through the Prosper Africa Tech designed for Trade Connections.
- The Division of Commerce will co-lead interagency attempts on the digital economy plus infrastructure. The Section of Business will influence regional electronic attachés, located in S. africa and Egypt, to boost its focus on the particular digital field through DTA and can co-chair Pillar 1: Electronic Economy and Infrastructure along with USTDA. Additionally , the Department’s National Telecommunications plus Information Administration is pleased to announce its intention to function with the usa Telecommunication Training Institute to empower and develop the next generation associated with telecommunications plus ICT leaders in The african continent. The program will include a networking and mentorship event in Washington, DC, for young African frontrunners with U. S. tech, start-up, and government representatives, followed by a training workshop in Africa to assist build out skills, knowledge, and digital leadership.